Bugtraq mailing list archives

Gimp: Erased sections of images print in some cases

From: Clark Mills <c.mills () auckland ac nz>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 11:08:45 +1300

Hi people.

As part of documenting processes, I take screen captures and then chop
stuff out that I don't want the world to see.  I do this within the Gimp
by setting an alpha channel on the screen capture and then _erasing_ the
parts of the image that I want to obscure.  An example is at:

    http://c-mills.ctru.auckland.ac.nz/transparent.png

If you view this image from Linux in Galeon 1.2.6 or Netscape/7.0 all
looks fine however if you print the image from within these applications
then the _erased_ section prints as if it was never erased.

This could be a great bit of fun and a way of making print pages appear
with extra content that wasn't visible on the web page (pr0n,
copyright).

On windows the images obscure which is great but obviously the _erased_
information is still in the sent image.

I let the Gimp people know this but they replied considering it a
feature not a bug which could be the case in some/most circumstances,
Bug #97167.

Not an earth shattering bug but perhaps worthy of note.

Cheers...  Clark