Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris 2.6, 7, 8

From: tb0b <tbob () primitive-incision co uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 1980 03:34:22 +0000

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002, you wrote:
But, the remote setting of TTYPROMPT does matter. you can not succeed in
login without remotely changing the TTYPROMPT. This is also the bug
mentioned in Jonathan's original letter (bid:5531).

I have heard several conflicting reports on this matter and there are at least
two published exploits for the Solaris login overflow (by mat () monkey org and
morgan () sexter com) that do *not* explicitly set the TTYPROMPT environment
variable.

If somone (perhaps somone from Sun) could clarify this matter once and for all
i would be most gratefull.

-tb0b

--
tb0b, Nietzschean.
No Religion. No Flag. No Phear.

http://bitterness.primitive-incision.co.uk/

   `Who said anything about cutting you up man?
    I just wanted to carve a little `z' on your forehead.'
                    -Dr Gonzo, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vagas"