Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: A technique to mitigate cookie-stealing XSS attacks

From: "jasonk" <jasonk () swin edu au>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:43:34 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: Ulf Harnhammar [mailto:ulfh () update uu se]
Sent: Sunday, 10 November 2002 2:22 PM
To: Justin King
Subject: Re: A technique to mitigate cookie-stealing XSS attacks

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Justin King wrote:

I would be very interested in major browsers supporting a <dead> tag
with an
optional parameter to be a hash of the data between the opening and
closing
dead tag. This tag would indicate that no "live" elements of HTML be
supported (e.g., JavaScript, VBScript, embed, object).

I'm not sure if that's the best solution. Lots of code out there do
much
less filtering than it should, so there will probably be a way to
include
a </dead> tag and then use all the usual XSS tricks.

I'm not sure it's the best solution either: how many of you have used
code such as <a href='javascript:...'> and so on ?

It's not going to be as easy as it looks - of course if you don't use
javascript AT ALL then sure, but many sites use javascript rollovers and
so on.  We need a more effective response than this.  Since javascript
(and other client side scripting technologies) are becoming more popular
and functional, it seems like imho the 'best' alternative is the
cookie-blocking approach.  This would stop the *effect* of XSS, much the
same as blocking user privileges doesn't stop them running malware but
prevents them from having an effect.

jasonk

// Ulf Harnhammar
   VSU Security