Bugtraq mailing list archives

FW: New Macromedia Security Zone Bulletins Posted

From: "Benjamin Keller" <benjamin () conceptis com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 21:31:05 -0400

IMPORTANT:

Several security issues that may affect Macromedia JRun and
ColdFusion customers have come to our attention recently.

To learn about these new issues and what actions you can
take to address them, Please visit the Security Zone at the
Macromedia Web site:

http://www.macromedia.com/security

MPSB02-01

Macromedia Security Bulletin (MPSB02-01)

Certain DOS reserved filenames may cause ColdFusion to display
the physical web root directory when ColdFusion is used with
Microsoft IIS.

Originally Posted: May 9, 2002

Summary
Certain DOS reserved filenames, such as NUL or PRN, can cause
ColdFusion to display the path to the web root directory in an
error message.

~~~~~~~
What Customers Should Do

Customers are advised to implement one of the two methods described
if disclosure of the IIS web root is a security concern.

Revisions

May 9, 2002 - Bulletin first released.

~~~~~~~
Thank you for your time and consideration on this issue.

Security Response Team,
Macromedia, Inc.

~~~~
P.S.  As a reminder, Macromedia has set up the following
e-mail address that customers can use to report security
issues associated with any Macromedia product:

[mailto:secure () macromedia com]

Reporting Security Issues
Macromedia is committed to addressing security issues and
providing customers with the information on how they can
protect themselves. If you identify what you believe may be
a security issue with a Macromedia product, please send an
email to secure () macromedia com. We will work to appropriately
address and communicate the issue.

~~~~~~~
Receiving Security Bulletins
When Macromedia becomes aware of a security issue that we
believe significantly affects our products or customers, we
will notify customers when appropriate. Typically this notification
will be in the form of a security bulletin explaining the issue
and the response. Macromedia customers who would like to receive
notification of new security bulletins when they are released
can sign up for our security notification service.

For additional information on security issues at Macromedia,
please visit the Security Zone at:

http://www.macromedia.com/security

THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY MACROMEDIA IN THIS BULLETIN IS
PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MACROMEDIA
AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS
OR IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE OR QUIET ENJOYMENT. (USA ONLY)
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

IN NO EVENT SHALL MACROMEDIA, INC. OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DIRECT,
INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, COVER,
LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR THE LIKE, OR LOSS OF
BUSINESS DAMAGES, BASED ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY INCLUDING
BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, TORT(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE),
PRODUCT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF MACROMEDIA, INC. OR ITS
SUPPLIERS OR THEIR REPRESENTATIVES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
OF SUCH DAMAGES. (USA ONLY) SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO
THE ABOVE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU AND YOU MAY
ALSO HAVE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

Macromedia reserves the right, from time to time, to update the
information in this document with current information.