Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ps under FreeBSD

From: "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark () attbi com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 01:14:38 -0700

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 08:40:38PM +0200, Jakub Filonik wrote:
Hi,
I was playing with ps on FreeBSD with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and I was
surprised when I have seen that I may see info about running process, if I
know it's ID

The ps(1) utility's manpage says,

     -a      Display information about other users' processes as well as your
             own.  This can be disabled by setting the kern.ps_showallprocs
             sysctl to zero.

It says nothing else about kern.ps_showallprocs. That's all it does
(in -STABLE).

This is not a bug, but simply a limitation of the (silly)
kern.ps_showallprocs feature.
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark () alum mit edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc () freebsd org