Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Unfortunate interaction between EZMLM and MessageLabs virus scanning

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 23:23:45 -0400 (EDT)

The widely used mailing list manager, EZMLM
(http://cr.yp.to/ezmlm.html), when sending mails for moderation,
sets a reply-to address which, if responded to, will cause the mail
to be accepted for distribution.

MessageLabs (http://www.messagelabs.com/) offer an email virus
scanning service which, unfortunately, sends virus alerts to,
amongst others, the reply-to address.

This is definitely a very troubling interaction between two programs.
Without further information, of course, it's difficult to state where
the problem needs to be fixed.

IMO it's in MessageLabs.  I am on a number of mailing lists that
regularly get hit with "we found a virus in a message from you" alert
messages, far more than there actually are infected messages coming
through the list.  I can only infer that someone is sending the viri
with the list address forged into one of the from-type fields.  I'm
sorely tempted to make my incoming email filters recognize the "alert"
annoygrams and autocomplain about them.

If a message must be auto-generated (which I'm far from convinced of),
IMO the only acceptable place to send it is the envelope-from.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca