Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Anti Virus Mailscanners DOS

From: Paul L Daniels <pldaniels () pldaniels com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:27:32 +1000

  You can achieve this with softlimits (from daemontools), or with a
  simple script using standard shell facilities (limit/ulimit) .

  It doesn't require any change to your antivirus software.

The problem lies within the fact that if vendor-'X' wants to deply a software solution onto a system, they'll have to
assume/hope that the administrator has set these limits (or even installed them). Additionally, each distribution/OS
has it's own methods.

        Whilst I guess this is a case of "Lets blame the AV makers", the issue is that they [AV software developers]
decided to put in automatic, recursive uncompression tools into their own software. I know NOD32 actually left
uncompression _out_ of their software due to this matter.

        There are OpenSource limits testers as well.

--
Paul L Daniels    http://www.pldaniels.com
Linux/Unix systems    Internet Development