Bugtraq mailing list archives

2K, with RealPlayer Installed 100 % CPU utilization

From: "Adonis.No.Spam" <adonis1 () videotron ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:52:45 -0500

          0    10   20   30   40   50   60   70   80   90  100
          |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
                           .---------------.
                          / NtWaK0 Advisory \
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
                                                                        :
Affected         : 2K, with RealPlayer Installed. I did not test XP     :
Type             : 100 % CPU utilization                                :
Date             : 28-02-2002                                           :
Author           : NtWaK0 @ www.SafeHack.com                            :
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

+---------------------.
 100 % CPU utilization \
+-----------------------`-----------------------------------------------.
                                                                        :
+-----------.                                                           :
 Disclaimer  \                                                          :
+-------------`---------------------------------------------------------.
The information in this advisory is believed to be true based on        :
experiments though it may be false. The opinions expressed in this      :
advisory and program are my own and NOT of any company.                 :
In Fact I do not work for no one at the present time.                   :
                                                                        :
This material is presented for informational and entertainment purposes :
only, and to satisfy the curious. Any activities described in this file :
which involve vandalism, theft, or any other illegal activities are     :
recounted from third-party conversations. I do not condone or encourage :
vandalism or theft. I do not accept any liability for anything anyone   :
does with this information. So, don't shoot the messenger.              :
Remember: Use a computer in ways that ensure respect for your fellows.  :
                                                                        :
+-------------.                                                         :
 Brief History \                                                        :
+---------------`-------------------------------------------------------.
You are affected if you have RealPlayer installed on 2K and your        :
browser open MP3 file using RealPlayer.                                 :
                                                                        :
+---------------------------+                                           :
Test OS Applications <<<                                           :
+---------------------------+                                           :
Tested on Windows 2K, XP with Realplayer Plys 8 Installed. Maybe other  :
versions of Realplayer are affected too. I do not have other versions   :
                                                                        :
                                                                        :
+-----------.                                                           :
 The Problem \                                                          :
+-------------`---------------------------------------------------------.
To see the problem do the following steps:                              :
1- Make sure you have Windows RealPlayer installed                      :
2- Make sure that .mp3 file will be opened using Realplayer. Normaly    :
   this is the default after you install Realplayer.                    :
3- Take any non .mp3 file say virus.exe rename it to virus.mp3          :
4- Create an HTML file that open test.mp3                               :
5- Put the files test.mp3 and test.html on your web server              :
6- Open http://www.yourwebserver.com/test.html                          :
7- HIT CTRL+DEL+ALT and check your CPU it should be 100 % if Realplayer :
   open.                                                                :
                                                                        :
I have a test page on www.safehack.com/testpage/test1.htm               :
                                                                        :
The problem is Realplayer will open and will try to connect and play    :
the NON valid mp3 file.                                                 :
                                                                        :
This issue does not happen if your default mp3 player is winamp or ohter:
                                                                        :
Another behavior I did notice id the html link point to  file.exe.mp3   :
not Realplayer.                                                         :
I have a test page on www.safehack.com/testpage/test2.htm               :
                                                                        :
This test page will open Winamp even if your default is Realplayer      :
                                                                        :
+------------.                                                          :
 The Solution \                                                         :
+--------------`--------------------------------------------------------.
Don't Make Realplayer your default to open mp3 files                    :
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and i'm
not even too sure about that one"--Dennis Huges, FBI.
Live Well Do Good  www.SafeHack.com                         |
Je Pense, Donc Je Suis                                    \(|)/
I know I ain't perfect, but i'm 99 point 9 percent :)    --(")--
RFCs are meant to be read and followedÂ…:)                  /`\  NtWaK0
Connect yourself to the main computer and let me take you to a
cybernetic ride. Are you connected to the right cybernet? If you are,
finally you are connected to my brain.
-=- Use a computer in a ways that ensure respect for your fellow     -=-