Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ISS Apache Advisory Response

From: "Kevin Spett" <kspett () spidynamics com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:51:30 -0400

I have been informed by Chris Rouland that the statement that I quoted below
is innacurate and was *not* made to CNN.com or AP.  Knowing how the media
works and how innaccuracies do pop up in AP articles, I believe him and wish
to retract my accusation of immaturity in regard to seeking credit.  I still
stand firm with my other statements, though.

Kevin Spett
SPI Dynamics
http://www.spidynamics.com/

6)      We do not view this as a race to beat other researchers to
releasing
an advisory, but a race to protect our customers in a timely manner.

Chris Rouland's statements to CNN

(http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/06/18/computer.security.ap/index.html
) make me doubt this:
"Complicating the matter, Rouland said he didn't trust Cox, who along with
his Apache duties is the senior director of engineering at Red Hat
Software,
which distributes the Linux operating system. Rouland accused Red Hat of
taking credit for earlier ISS research. "
This is clearly simple, petty jealousy before responsibility.  You want
credit just like everyone else does, of course, but come on... And Apache
did give proper credit after all.