Bugtraq mailing list archives

Windows Buffer Overflows

From: "Brett Moore" <brett () softwarecreations co nz>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:54:14 +1200

This following applies to the recent .asp and .htr Buffer Overflows
for IIS and possibly other similar vulnerabilities.

From the eEye Advisory:
ADVISORY: Windows 2000 and NT4 IIS .HTR Remote Buffer Overflow [AD20020612]
"By manipulating the content of these structures we can overwrite an
arbitrary 4 bytes of memory with an attacker supplied address."

This statement is misleading and should read similar to:

"we can overwrite multiple memory addresses with attacker supplied data"

So what is the difference?

From the Eeye Advisory:
"While many may believe that the risk for these types of vulnerabilities is
fairly low due to the fact that addressing is dynamic and brute force
techniques would need to be used in an attack, eEye strongly disagrees. This
premise is false as successful exploitation can be made with one attempt,
across dll versions."

The recent .asp exploits that I have seen all work in a similar way.
They overwrite the exception handler, which is a static memory address
with the address of the payload.
Then when the execption happens code execution jumps to this address.
This address is dynamic, so to reach this address exploits can

1) Hard code the address as in;
 IIS5.0 .asp overrun remote exploit
 Programmed by hsj  : 02.04.14
 #define RET                 0x0045C560  /* our payload. ugh, direct

2) Brute force the address as in;
 IIS5.0 .asp overrun remote brute force exploit
 by isno(isno () xfocus org)
#define RET                 0x00450000  /* brute force addr */
#define STEP                2000  /* brute force step */

3) Find a static address that has the required code to do a relative jump as
in
 * the address of our payload is at [esp+xx]
 * we find a static location with the instuctions for jmp [esp+xx].

While #3 is obviously the best way, it is not always possible to find the
instructions required.

But because we can write to multiple addresses an exploit can work like
this,
 * locate the static memory address for the exception handler
 * locate another static memory address
 * overwrite the exception handler with the second address
 * overwrite the second address with the required instructions for our
relative jmp
 * cause an exception

The result?

A security vulnerability is always a serious issue. The fact that there are
not
always exploits created and made available to the public, should in no way
suggest
that the risk is lower.

Where did I find this?

It was there inside my computer just waiting for me. And I could almost say
100%
that "I'm not the only one to know this". But it is not something that I
have
seen on any resource for IT Security and as such the general impression has
been
that vulnerabilities of this type are "Low Risk because of the dynamic
address
issue". So either only the true underground know about this or perhaps the
professional IT security industry is somewhat like the NSA,FBI,CIA and
doesn't
like to share information.

Microsoft Resources
Title:      Heap Overrun in HTR Chunked Encoding Could Enable Web
            Server Compromise (Q321599)