Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Linux kernels DoSable by file-max limit

From: Paul Starzetz <paul () starzetz de>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:38:56 +0200

Kurt Seifried wrote:

Solution: no temporary solution yet, there should be a global per user
file limit, the reserved file descriptors should be given out under
another uid/euid policy. The NR_RESERVED_FILES limit seems to me to be
really low.

Huh. Simply limit users, PAM provides this capability, as do most shells.
From: http://seifried.org/lasg/users/
Yes, but maybe the point of my original posting was not completely clear to everybody. Just look at the [*] line in the original post. The problem is the policy to give out the reserved file descriptors. Limiting users is a well known issue (to mostly everybody here I think) but sometimes it is not applicable or even not enough to prevent this kind of DoS.

regards,

Paul Starzetz