Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MacOS X SoftwareUpdate Vulnerability

From: "Kurt Seifried" <bugtraq () seifried org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:52:40 -0600

Date:      July 6, 2002
Version:   MacOS 10.1.X and possibly 10.0.X
Problem:   MacOS X SoftwareUpdate connects to the SoftwareUpdate Server
via
           HTTP with no authentication, leaving it vulnerable to attack.
[...]
Solution/Patch/Workaround:
[...]

A possible workaround:

System Preferences -> Software Update -> Update Software: [x] Manually
DonĀ“t touch the "Update Now"-Button!

Look for updates on http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html
Use trusted networks or http-to-mail gateway to get the files.

How is this an improvement? The whole premise of the attack relies on
DNS/ARP poisoning/spoofing, which is super trivial if you are local, pretty
easy on the same subnet, and usually possible across the Internet. So
instead of directing you to swquery.apple.com or *.g.akamai.net I simply
redirect you to my version of www.apple.com.

Apple doesn't even post MD5 sum's of the files, let alone a PGP/GnuPG
signature, there is absoulutely no verification of the packages as far as I
can tell.

HTH,

Julian

Kurt Seifried, kurt () seifried org