Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Phenoelit Advisory, 0815 ++ * - Cisco_tftp

From: Mike Caudill <mcaudill () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:19:03 -0400

kim0 <kim0 () phenoelit de> [2002-07-27 12:52] wrote:

--
           kim0   <kim0 () phenoelit de>
       Phenoelit (http://www.phenoelit.de)

Phenoelit Advisory <wir-haben-auch-mal-was-gefunden #0815 ++-->

[ Authors ]
      FX              <fx () phenoelit de>
      FtR             <ftr () phenoelit de>
      kim0            <kim0 () phenoelit de>

      Phenoelit Group (http://www.phenoelit.de)
      Advisory        http://www.phenoelit.de/stuff/Cisco_tftp.txt

[ Affected Products ]
      Cisco IOS

      Tested on
                      IOS 11.1 - 11.3

      Cisco Bug ID:   <not assigned>
        CERT Vulnerability ID: 689579

[ Vendor communication ]
        06/29/02        Initial Notification,
                      security-alert () cisco com & psirt () cisco com
                        *Note-Initial notification by phenoelit
                        includes a cc to cert () cert org by default
        06/30/02        Human confirmation from PSIRT @ Cisco
        06/30/02 (2)    Discussion of detail
        07/01/02        Continued discussion for reproducing problem
        07/01/02        Receipt, ack. and clarification by CERT () CERT ORG
        07/03/02        Continued discussions with PSIRT
        07/19/02        Notification of intent to post publically
                        in apx. 7 days.
        07/25/02        Final coordination for release.

[ Overview ]
      Cisco Systems Routers are the most widely used routers.
      Cisco Routers are embedded network devices that run a dedicated
      Operating System, the Cisco IOS.

[ Description ]
      The Cisco IOS integrated TFTP server suffers from a buffer overflow
      condition.
      When requesting a file name with approximately 700 characters, the device
      crashes and may reboot. This only happens, if the served file is on a
      flash device and no alias is assigned to it.

      Vulnerable:
      router# conf t
      router# tftp-server flash:ios_11.3_a-b-c-d.bin

      Not vulnerable:
      router# conf t
      router# tftp-server flash:ios_11.3_a-b-c-d.bin alias TheStuff

[ Example ]
      OpenBSD# tftp cisco53.navy.smil.mil
      tftp> get AAAAAAAAA....(700 times)

[ Solution ]
      None available at this time

[ end of file ]

[    ----- End of Included Message -----    ]

--
|      ||        ||       | Mike Caudill              | mcaudill () cisco com |
|      ||        ||       | PSIRT Incident Manager    | 919.392.2855       |