Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cisco VPN3000 MTU overflow (fragmentation issue)

From: <porte10 () free fr>
Date: 12 Jul 2002 16:27:53 -0000

I do not understand how increasing the MTU would
be a security vulnerability.

Well, it isn't a raw security vulnerability
-- however there may be side-effects), but an
"availability issue". "Availability issues",
whose worst form is DoS, deserve being published
in BugTraq, provided they are critical and
easily reproduced.

The VPN Client software allows you to reduce the
MTU so that when encryption overhead increases
the size of the packet it does not cause
unnecessary fragmentation.

Again, I DON'T SEE WHY THE CLIENT SHOULD BOTHER
ABOUT THE GATEWAY'S NETWORK INTERFACE CONFIGURATION.

We clearly have a design issue here, as the gateway
does not fragment accordingly. Just sniff and
watch.

You can check that the gateway does not accordingly
fragment return packets using the following steps:

E.g.
target ->- 1500 byte-frames/ethernet ->- GATEWAY

       1580 byte-frames/ethernet  ----<-----|

1. sniff at the gateway's public interface

2. from you source search for the critical
   data size (by dichotomy) -- the lowest
   length for which you get no traffic back:

[CMD]
ping -t -l 1499 gateway
ping -t -l 1400 gateway
ping -t -l 1450 gateway

From my probes, i converged to:
1420 = mtu_ethernet (1500) - ESP headers (80)

To patch the bug, the gateway should fragment IP
packets considering the maximum value
max { client_proposed_mtu, gateway_medium_mtu }
instead of just client_proposed_mtu.

Master Phi