Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Stunnel: Format String Bug update

From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht () suse de>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:52:34 +0100 (MET)

The versions listed in the original advisory were wrong.
Stunnel versions prior to 3.15 did not contain any smtp
client negotiation code, only server code which is not
vulnerable.  The buggy smtp, pop, and nntp client code
wasn't added until version 3.15, not 3.3 as I originally
reported.

Versions prior to 3.15 are not vulnerable.  The misdiagnosis
was caused by an abundance of migranes, illness, and vomitting
in my household which is luckily starting to abate.

The SuSE Linux distributions 7.2 and 7.3 as well as SLES7 have
stunnel-3.14 (unpatched). It does have protocol-dependent code, but there
are no format string bugs that are exploitable (only "unclean" lines like
fdprintf(local, "220 Go ahead", line); ).

You have to dig into it for a few minutes. The version statement does not
hold.

[...]

Update Date:           2-Jan-2002
Original Release Date: 22-Dec-2001

Package:               stunnel
Versions:              stunnel-3.15 => stunnel-3.21c
Problem type:          format string bugs

Roman.
--
| Roman Drahtmüller      <draht () suse de> // "You don't need eyes to see, |