Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: sastcpd Buffer Overflow and Format String Vulnerabilities

From: elliptic <elliptic@localhost.localdomain>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:54:38 -0700 (MST)

"SAS software provides the foundation, tools, and
solutions for data analysis, report generation,
and enterprise-wide information delivery."

The "SAS Job Spawner", sastcpd, contains both a buffer
overflow and a format string vulnerability.

SAS Support say that these problems were fixed in version
8.2 of this product, but we are unable to confirm as we
do not have access to this version.

This problem appears to be addressed by the following product note:
http://www.sas.com/service/techsup/unotes/SN/004/004201.html

Some additional information Digital Shadow neglected to include:

sastcpd is part of the SAS/Base component.  Although I neither work for
SAS, nor do I use their product on a regular basis, I'd assume this means
the scope of exposure is broad.

Additionally, it appears that the objspawn program included with the
SAS/Integration Technologies product is also vulnerable to these bugs.
objspawn is also a setuid root executable by default.  See the above link
for more information.

Cheers,
ellipse