Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: The "Lunch Break Hole"

From: "David LeBlanc" <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:55:32 -0800

There are chances that someone already knows your password,
and that he
uses a security hole of Windows 2000 to log into your machine without
leaving any logon/logoff traces in the Security log!
[snip]
Because the locking of the machine creates no Security event
by design, a
local attacker can use this hole to log onto a locked machine
and lock this
machine again (when he is done), without leaving logon/logoff
traces of his
successful break in in the Security log!

This does not repro on my XP Pro system. When I lock and unlock the
system, it creates events in the security events IF I have logon
auditing enabled. I haven't had time to test against Windows 2000.

And, BTW, if someone already knows your password, this should be the
least of your worries.