Bugtraq mailing list archives

Macinosh IE file execuion vulerability

From: Jass Seljamaa <jass () email isp ee>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:02:47 +0200 (EET)

This mail sent through IMP: email.isp.ee

Problem:
Malicious webmaster can execute files, if the victim is
using Internet Explorer 5.

Affected versions:
IE 5.0, probably earlier, on Classic systems(below OS X)

If you know the file path you can execute watever you want. What makes it
difficult is that macintosh hard drives have different names, just like
folders, not like on Windows - you can refer to the HD by typing c:\.
On OS 9(and above) there are a bunch of AppleScripts called 'speakable items',

which are made to make your life easier. They can be used for example to shut
down the macintosh*, change the resolution, put computer to sleep(a energy-
saving mode), close this window, close all windows etc. The default HD name is
Macintosh HD(all systems I can remember). On OS 9(with the default
configuration) the speakable item named Put Computer To Sleep lies in Macintosh

HD:System Folder:Speakable Items:Put Computer To Sleep.

* - Asks for confirmation.

Exploit:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="1;
URL=file:///Macintosh%20HD/System%20Folder/Speakable%20Items/Put%20Computer%20To%20Sleep">

This will blank the screen and spin down hard disk(s).

Vendor:
I contacted Microsoft 2 months ago, they did not reply.

Jass Seljamaa,
jass () isp ee
GSM: +3725212242