Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IE GetObject() problems

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:05:00 +0200

It works for me on default settings of IE 6.0/5.5/Win2K.
Note: AFAIK microsoft neither confirm nor deny it is bug,
the last I heard from them was they were investigating my report.

Georgi Guninski,
http://www.guninski.com

Michael Fellows wrote:

I tested this with the following systems:

Win2K, IE 6.0.2600.0000CO w/Q313675
Win95, IE 5.50.4807.2300CO w/SP2

IE gives an "Error: Automation server can't create object" error unless
"Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" is set to
"Enable" in the "Local intranet" Zone.  At which point the vulnerability
as listed works.

User intervention is required to enable this setting because default
settings and settings provided via the "Reset custom settings" default to
either "Disable" or "Prompt".

Were you able to get past this setting?  If not, then I don't see this as
being too large of a threat.

Thank you,

Michael

--