Bugtraq mailing list archives

MSIE 6.0 will rollback during XP Pro Install -- Ref: MSIE may download and run programs automatically - details

From: "Jeffrey W. Dronenburg" <dronenjw () gmpexpress net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:07:07 -0500

Title:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 files will rollback during installation of
Windows XP Pro Upgrade Version

Known Systems Affected:
- Windows XP Professional Upgrade Version 2002 (Windows XP Home Upgrade NOT
tested)
- Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2600.0000 Update Patches:; Q313675;

Risk: High (from the original MS Release)
- Internet systems: Critical
- Intranet systems: Critical
- Client systems: Critical

Date: January 15, 2002

Jeffrey Dronenburg Advisory: #01-2002

_______=====+++(*)+++=====_______

Synopsis:

1)  When upgrading to Windows XP Pro from previous versions of Windows (only
Win 98SE validated), IE 6.0 files are overwritten during the operating
system software installation process, effectively rolling the browser
software back to original release version 6.0.0000.0000 and removing all
installed patches, including Q313675 (See MS01-058).

2)  The Microsoft Windows Update web site for XP Pro
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp will not detect
Internet Explorer or recommend update patches.

_______=====+++(*)+++=====_______

Notification:

* Submitted to Microsoft Feedback
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;FEEDBACK for Site
Content, Features, and Tools on 1/15/2002 at 1:25 AM EST.  Vendor alerted
immediately upon discovery of vulnerability.  Vendor additionally notified
of this BUGTRAQ e-mail submission and provided with text of details.

* Submitted to BUGTRAQ immediately without waiting for vendor response to
further document this serious, already well known potential security breach.
The particular vulnerability discussed in this advisory may arise out of a
false sense of security created by taking normal security precautions and
installing system patches following standard, vendor recommended procedures
(i.e. update all application software prior to OS upgrade).

_______=====+++(*)+++=====_______

Details:

I had previously installed the MS01-058 cumulative patch for IE 6.0 from the
MS TechNet web site when it was first released to BUGTRAQ by the Microsoft
Security Notification Service last month (13 December 2001).  Since then, I
have installed the upgrade version of Windows XP Pro from Windows 98SE
(please don't debate the wisdom of doing this with me).  Remember, I thought
that my IE 6.0 configuration was fully patched, and I didn't give it another
thought (mistake #1).

After installing XP Pro, I went to the Windows Update site and installed all
available security patches using auto detection, including the UPnP
vulnerability patch.  At this point I *assumed* I had a completely patched
operating system (mistake #2 -- something about an old adage when you
ass*u*me things).

Tonight, I went to the Online Solutions web site linked in Jouko Pynnonen's
e-mail thread quoted below and was *surprised* -- *stunned* -- when the test
revealed a vulnerable browser.  I immediately clicked on About Internet
Explorer and was completely surprised to find version 6.0.0000.0000.  No
patches!  Evidently, the XP Pro installation must have erased all IE 6.0
patched files and replaced them with original release files.

I went back to the Windows Update site for XP Pro and the site again *failed
to detect* any missing patches for IE.  No critical patches were identified.
Evidently, IE 6.0 isn't included in the self-detect on this site as it is on
the Windows 98 Update site.  I then went to the TechNet security page
detailing MS01-058 and reinstalled the patch.  Testing passed on the Online
Solutions test page linked below.

Thank you again, Jouko and Online Solutions for providing this very timely
online tool and reminder to test our browsers!

_______=====+++(*)+++=====_______

Workaround/Solutions:

1) Validate current version of Internet Explorer by clicking on Help ->
About Internet Explorer and ensure that Update Patches:; Q313675; is
reflected.
2) Test Internet Explorer on the Online Solutions Web site at
http://www.solutions.fi/iebug2.
3) If required:  - A patch is available to fix this vulnerability. Please
read the Microsoft Security Bulletin at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms01-058.asp for vendor
information on obtaining this patch.
4) Subscribe to the Microsoft Product Security Notification Service e-mail
notification list.  This may be the only reliable way to be kept appraised
of critical patches and updates to IE from Microsoft until Windows Update is
modified.

_______=====+++(*)+++=====_______

<!-- onSoapBox -->

For the Microsoft personnel screening BUGTRAQ:

PLEASE (all caps added for emphasis) include IE on the Windows XP Pro Update
site (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp).  Your customers
should not have to go to www.anysite.fi to validate the current patch status
of your software products.  Of all of the controversies surrounding the
current release of the XP operating system, this specific issue is
particularly reprehensible and annoying.

Your developers put together a great tool to determine system software
status and assist your customers in selecting appropriate updates and
patches for their systems.  Perhaps too great a tool, as it has become an
assumption crutch.  I happen to be in that <1% of the Windows users
population that follows developments in software security (and the BUGTRAQ
mailing list along with other SecurityFocus.com lists).  What about the
remaining 99%?  They depend on tools like Windows Update to keep their
systems, well, up to date (if they even do that).  IMHO, the tool is broken
until it fully detects all system updates and patches for your software
products, or at least points you to the tool that will (like the Office
Update site).

<!-- offSoapBox -->

_______=====+++(*)+++=====_______

Lessons Learned:

Don't rely on vendor supplied automated tools -- check your system
thoroughly after any operating system upgrade.  Then, check it again.  One
more time for a confidence check.  Repeat continuously.

<!-- That must be in a Systems Security 101 book somewhere... -->

Cheers,

Jeffrey Dronenburg, Sr.
MIS Major, Univ. of Maryland, Univ. College
Alpha Sigma Lambda
Phi Kappa Phi

"A day without learning is like apple pie without ice cream.  They're both
much sweeter the other way around." -Me! :-)
P.S. Tonight, I learned another lesson in systems security thanks to the
BUGTRAQ...

_______=====+++(*)+++=====_______

The Fine Print:

Legal Notice:
This Advisory is Copyright (c) 2002 Jeffrey W. Dronenburg, Sr.
You may distribute it unmodified.  When replying to this advisory, you may
omit certain sections as long as it does not change the meaning or intent of
the advisory, and the omitted sections are replaced with "<snip>".  You may
not otherwise modify it for distribution, or distribute parts of it without
the author's written permission.

Disclaimer:
The information in this advisory is believed to be true based on my own
experiments though it may be proven to be invalid.  If you discover through
continued experimentation that the results of my own experiments are not
valid, please do me the professional courtesy of informing me of your
findings, and copying me when posting to mailing lists such as
SecurityFocus.com's BUGTRAQ.

The opinions expressed in this advisory are my own and not of any government
agency or company.  The usual standard disclaimers apply, especially the
fact that Jeffrey W. Dronenburg, Sr. is not liable for any damages
caused by the direct or indirect use of the information provided by this
advisory.  The information in this advisory is being released to the
Information Systems and Network Security Community as a whole in the
interest of furthering computer systems security.  Jeffrey W. Dronenburg,
Sr. bears no responsibility for the content or misuse of the information
provided in this advisory or any derivatives thereof.