Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: address.com: email vulnerability

From: Robert Ellis <REllis () excel com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:27:10 -0600

        I spoke to a responsive person at address.com, and they were very
concerned. Address.com is giving this issue the attention it deserves
(verifying, etc...)

        Responsible full disclosure requires that a reasonable attempt is
made to inform the company of an issue and give them time to respond before
disclosing the vulnerability publically. I had no problem finding a
responsive person to inform of this issue. It's likely that the researcher
ran into a support policy and an uncooperative or unaware support person. In
my opinion, the researcher's responsibility requires a stronger attempt to
notify a vendor.

        The company was not given a chance to respond, and the user base may
have been exposed to a greater threat through early disclosure. In an
environment where full disclosure is being labeled as part of 'information
anarchy' by an unethical vendor's propaganda, mishaps like these endanger
more than individual company and userbase.

Just my opinion.