Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: autoresponder program could be tricked by spamers to send unsolicitedmail to victim's address (fwd)

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar () Golux Com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:48:52 -0500

Someone forwarded me:

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:51:55 +1100
From: user () compulabs dhs org
To: bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: autoresponder program could be tricked by spamers to send
    unsolicited mail to victim's address

Autoresponder program
http://meepzor.com/packages/autoresponder/

I am the author of this package.  I will look into this.

could be tricked by spamers to send unsolicited mail to
victim's address if option reply with copy of original
message attached to response is enabled in autoresponder's
configuration.

Nothing is without risk.  Security always costs something --
usually convenience.  The short answer to this for the
time being is "don't do that"; in other words, don't use
that option for now.

Program does not have any sort of restriction on number of

That is a known restriction, and listed in the TODO file.
It shouldn't come as a surprise.

I could not get in contact with developer of this program
despite we have sent warning to webmaster of web site hosting
web page of autoresponder.

Um, I regard this as almost complete bollocks.  AFAIK, I have never
received any mail from dhs.org until to-day, when you thoughtfully
sent me notification (at Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:14:19 +1100) less
than two hours before posting this to bugtraq (at Fri, 11 Jan 2002
13:51:55 +1100).  Not to my own account, not to the clearly-documented
autoresponder package support address, and not to the Webmaster
address until a few hours ago (which was hardly the best choice,
but you lucked out this time :-).

So while I appreciate the notification of the problem, and will
look into it at the earliest opportunity, I'm more than a little
irritated that you acted so irresponsibly -- sending a message
in what could be (and was) late at night, and following it up
with a 'I didn't get a response' posting to bugtraq less than two
hours later (still late at night where I am).  I don't care for
the incorrect insinuation that I am not responsive to security
reports.  Of course, the next worse thing would have been to just
send it to bugtraq and never to me at all.

I don't follow bugtraq, so perhaps someone will inform me
privately whether or not it is appropriate for me to follow
up to it with a summary or 'fixed' posting.
--
#ken    P-)}