Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MSN Messenger and UDP 1900

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 02:00:57 -0500

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:21:33 CST, Dustin Miller <dustin () fusewerx com>  said:
MSN Messenger communicates using UPNP to try to auto-detect any
UPNP-compliant firewalls/routers you may have.  Ostensibly, NAT/Firewall
devices that support UPNP will allow file transfers, voice and audio
communications so MSN Messenger polls for them to autoconfigure itself
and the NAT/Firewall device to support these transfer types.

So MSN Messenger thinks that a properly configured firewall would
configure itself to let arbitrary connections to the outside world
through just because a UPnP device asked it to?

Gaak.  Trying to get my mind around that concept is making my brain hurt.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer