Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SUMMARY: Disabling Port 445 (SMB) Entirely

From: "Andrew Oman" <Andrew.Oman () predictive com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:21:34 -0400

I hope this adds a little bit on one more method of diabling/unbinding
SMB:
( sorry if the cross-post was not appropriate )

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/techresources/commnet/WINS/WINSwp98/WINS11-12.asp

HKLM\System\Controlset001\Services\NetBT\Parameters

Non-Configurable Parameters
The following parameters are created and used internally by the NetBT
components. They should never be modified using the Registry Editor. They
are listed here for reference only.

TransportBindName
Key: Netbt\Parameters
Value Type: REG_SZ - Character string
Valid Range: N/A
Default: \Device\
The default value should not be changed.

SMBDeviceEnabled
Key: Netbt\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD—Boolean
Valid Range: 0, 1 (false, true)
Default: 1 (true)

SMB Device, which is enabled by default. This parameter can be used to
disable the SMB device for troubleshooting purposes.

Using the SMBDeviceEnabled key removes SMB from binding to 445.

Thanks,

Andrew

"Jason Coombs" <jasonc () science org>
08/29/2002 08:05 PM