Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: White paper: Exploiting the Win32 API.

From: "Drew" <dcopley () eeye com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:25:08 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Rothe, Greg (G.A.) [mailto:grothe () ford com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 10:00 AM
To: 'Paul Starzetz'; Andrey Kolishak; bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: White paper: Exploiting the Win32 API.

All of this brings up a couple of questions for me:

1.
As I understand it, all this can be avoided by applying the
simple, longtime standard maxim of "trust no input," correct? (If
correct, this leads me to murmur rhetorically "Have today's
developers no discipline?")

2.
If the above is incorrect,

The above is NOT correct as several posters have already shown.

Anytime a developer has an application running as system which
is a rare need, they must realize the security ramifications of
what they are doing. (That, if a flaw is found in their software,
they will elevate the privileges of the user).

http://www.atstake.com/research/advisories/2000/a090700-1.txt

This is a well known need, even if this type of attack - and therefore
prevention - is not well known.

and system messages such as event
notifications (onClick, etc.) can be compromised, then developers
using tools such as Visual Basic are essentially helpless to
harden their applications. Other than going back to writing in
assembly, what is the modern developer to do?

You generally will have very few types of applications on
your system which require to run *as* system and can receive
messages (Most that I can think of are actually security
apps that are designed to restrict unprivileged users -- but
maybe I am biased). While you can exploit other applications
not running in a higher privilege space in this manner, this
gains you nothing which you can not do with just running an
binary as that user.

We have here an exclusive or: Which is it - 1 or 2 or neither?

Thanks,

-Greg
<snip>