Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Information disclosure on mod_auth ( apache 1.3.26 ) ?

From: Alex Muntada <alexm+bugtraq () ac upc es>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:07:36 +0200

Quoting Hector A. Paterno:

I have found  a discrepancy between mod_auth and ServerTokens Prod.

Using, openbsd CURRENT , apache 1.3.26, as the example:

I add the following line to the httpd.conf file :

ServerTokens Prod

So, when I try to get the version/modules of apache with the HEAD
method, I obtain as a reply only the type of the server :

 HEAD / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n

[info]
Server: Apache
[info]

But , when I enable mod_auth and try to access the protected directory
with an invalid username / password, I obtain the following errror :

401 Authorization Required
[bleh bleh info]
Apache/1.3.26 Server at xxxxx Port 80

Giving me the version of the apache server.

I'm not an apache guru, but from from my point of view this seems to be a
flaw(?) in the mod_auth module.

Hector,
to disable apache server signature (it's on by default) you
should add this to your httpd.conf and restart apache:

  ServerSignature Off

The ServerTokens directive applies to HTTP Server response
header only. Take a look at apache manual for more details:

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#serversignature
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#servertokens

Best regards.

--