Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IE SSL Vulnerability

From: robert walker <robert.walker () gems3 gov bc ca>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 23:11:22 -0000

Given my background in cryptographic programming,
it is difficult for me to imagine how the cause of this
alleged vulnerability could be explained as programmer
error or oversight. Yet I cannot fathom why MS would
purposely skip such a basic step.

I am waiting to hear Microsoft's side of the story.
Because it goes to a core issue of whether or not they
themselves are trustworthy.

My car has airbags which protect me in a collision.
Imagine if the manufacturer forgot to install them.
What explanation is satisfactory in that circumstance?

A huge amount of infrastructure is managed remotely via
SSL and IE these days. It just boggles the mind the
extent to which the security integrity of that
infrastructure is now under a cloud unknowing.