Bugtraq mailing list archives

more info on the iosmash.c exploit

From: John Scimone <jscimone () cc gatech edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:23:43 +0000

phased had some comments he wanted me to forward on to the lists in
regards to his latest exploit.

He says that skeys are used via all authentication methods... i.e telnet, so
someone could change the user to someone in the wheel group.  Haven't used
skeys via ssh yet but I presume it works.  Root obviously can't just telnet
in by default but usually can ssh, but if the box being exploited contains
people in the wheel group you can change the root user in the exploit to any
user to log in via skeys as that user.

-sert-

That file you've been guarding, isn't.
     /   _____/\______   \__    ___/   | Secure Network Operations
     \_____  \  |       _/ |    |      | http://www.snosoft.com
     /        \ |    |   \ |    |      | recon () snosoft com
            \/         \/              | Project Cerebrum
    Strategic  Reconnaissance Team     | cerebrum () snosoft com