Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: KPMG-2002013: ColdFusion Path Disclosure

From: "Bejon Parsinia" <bejon () supertel com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:45:34 -0700

Chris,

Another way to avoid the ugly 404's would be to implement your ColdFusion
Applications using the Fusebox methodology.  Of course, you could use other
methods to code your app but Fusebox does a great job of this.  All files
are loaded directly (or indirectly) from an "index.cfm" file with
fuseactions.  The user never sees what the actual filenames are.  The only
file you ever see in a link is "index.cfm" with your fuses attached to the
url which does all of the intelligent handling.  Any time you receive a
request for a specific file, even if it exists on the server (such as
dsp_aboutme.cfm), the application is coded to return a user-created 404, or
the user can be directed to a specific page.  Fusebox will consider any file
request that is not "index.cfm" as a bad request.  Of course, you can change
the file from "index.cfm" to anything you want.  But basically, your 404
becomes your own fuse.  It's a really nice way of working your way around
this if you hold to the application structure that Fusebox lays out.

If you are interested in this, check out www.fusebox.org.  I highly suggest
it.

Granted without some specifics from you, I do not know how well Fusebox will
handle the DOS you suggested.  You may want to give it a try.  I hope I
explained Fusebox well enough to stress how strong of a programming
methodology it affords a developer.  Also, Fusebox does not only apply to
ColdFusion.  There is a framework on the site for Active Server Pages as
well.

Good Luck!

Bejon