Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [RHSA-2001:110-05] Insecure setserial initscript

From: woods () ucar edu (Greg Woods)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:18:44 -0600 (MDT)

Do not use the initscript supplied with setserial.  To disable it, use=20
the following command:

/sbin/chkconfig serial off

Alternatively, if your system needs manual adjustment of its serial
port settings and you wish to have those adjustments re-applied
automatically on boot, be sure to use a kernel that has non-modular
serial port support, such as those supplied by Red Hat, Inc.

I hope this isn't the final solution, because in my view, it's not
acceptable. I need to compile serial support as a module, not hard-coded
in the kernel, or else IrDA  won't work correctly. If I interpret the
above correctly, it says that you either disable serial support, or
hard-code serial into the kernel instead of loading it as a module.
In that case, it will be impossible to use IrDA on a Red Hat system,
and I don't think that's an acceptable permanent solution.

--Greg