Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HACMP and port scans

From: Jordan Klein <haplo () haplo net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:31:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Eoin D. Fleming wrote:

It appears that IBM's HACMP 4.4 clustering software can be induced to fail
simply by port scanning clustered machines, has anyone come accross this
vulnerability and is there a workaround?

Thanks,
RT

Yes, when I worked at IBM, we found this same problem.  We had internal
security groups periodically port scanning our servers and they caused our
HACMP cluster servers to crash, as a result.

I don't remember all the details, as I didn't personally work with HACMP.
However, a good friend did and told me all about it.  I believe IBM has
some patches that can fix this problem.

I think it's somehow simulating a failover signal, but not correctly, so
causing a kernel panic or something.

--
Jordan Klein                                         haplo () haplo net
gpg fingerprint = 3D15 2822 F5A9 AED4 A66C  48EF 0A21 39CB A5BA 8C5B