Bugtraq mailing list archives

Statically Detecting Likely Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities

From: aleph1 () securityfocus com
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 16:41:18 -0600

Statically Detecting Likely Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
David Larochelle and David Evans.

Buffer overflow attacks may be today's single most important security
threat. This paper presents a new approach to mitigating buffer overflow
vulnerabilities by detecting likely vulnerabilities through an analysis of
the program source code. Our approach exploits information provided in
semantic comments and uses lightweight and efficient static analyses. This
paper describes an implementation of our approach that extends the LCLint
annotation-assisted static checking tool. Our tool is as fast as a compiler
and nearly as easy to use. We present experience using our approach to
detect buffer overflow vulnerabilities in two security-sensitive programs.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/usenix01-abstract.html
http://lclint.cs.virginia.edu/usenix01.pdf
http://lclint.cs.virginia.edu/usenix01.html

--