Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Is there user Anna at your host ?

From: Josha Bronson <dmuz () slartibartfast angrypacket com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:12:56 -0700

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 06:17:41PM +0400, Alexander A. Kelner said:
So, he can easy discover if user "anna" exists at your UNIX,
and try to play with her password, or send her spam etc.

First off it looks like this was mentioned here:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/vuln-dev/2000-q3/0094.html

This approach allows him get nesessary info instead of disabled
VRFY feature in your Sendmail !

Apache works quickly and IMHO doesnt provide any responce delays
for any kind of result code. So bad boy can check 1000 different
names for very short time !

This will indeed allow you to enumerate usernames on systems that have
this feature enabled. The obvious solution is to disable this feature by
changing "UserDir public_html" (or whatever) to "UserDir disabled".
However that might not be an option in many cases.

Sorry if I'm wrong, or this is something trivial.

Wrong? No. Trivial? Up in the air. Enumeration of user names is
definitely an important step in attacking a system, but just a username
is not going to get you very much. Also, there are a number of other
methods that could be used, like searching for '@domain.tld', VRFY in
sendmail (as you mentioned) or good old fashion finger (yes a lot of
people still run fingerd).

If you are paranoid like me, then disable it. Or just run OpenBSD, which
disables it by default.

--
josha.bronson(aka->dmuz) >> dmuz () angrypacket com
networks/systems/security && CCNA, RHCE