Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SSH deja vu

From: Lucian Hudin <luci () warp transart ro>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 00:18:06 +0300 (EEST)

 I don't know about any teso exploit, but what I want to mention is
that I rememeber studying this problem myself and I've found
that the crc32 bug doesn't manifest under operating systems that
return NULL on realloc(ptr, 0);
 So if the exploit is based on the fact that realloc(ptr, 0) will
NOT return NULL, Linux & W2k (systems I have access on) were never
actually vulnerable.

 The Linux realloc manual says :
 "realloc() returns a pointer to the newly allocated memory, which is
 suitably aligned  for  any  kind  of variable  and  may  be  different
 from ptr, or NULL if the request fails or if size was equal to 0.

CONFORMING TO
       ANSI-C
"

Regards,