Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: PGP Signed Messages

From: "prime evil" <res006lj () gte net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:06:14 -0700

I could change this to :

well, you get the idea. The signature is still valid.

Agreed that only the beginner crypto user would fall for this, but
if they were to read the message and then just use PGP to check the
validity, they could be tricked into believing that the extra lines
were part of the verified message.
Does anybody else think this is quite a bad idea?

actually, if you are using the outlook plugin(as i am) your comment
line doesn't even pop up. yes the signature was valid, but all of
your extra lines didn't come up. also, when i copied and pasted it
into notepad (your modified one) and verified the sig, it still
didn't show the comment. (which is good) i agree that if you are just
looking at the message itself, you can be fooled, but then you really
aren't using PGP as you should be. never assume that because
something is "signed" that it is valid.. always check the signed
message with PGP.

I apologize if i messed up in any way, this is my first response to
bugtraq. i love this list, keep up the good work

latz
- - --Prime
ATTN BUGTRAQ SCREENER PLEASE ignore my prior message, my paste didn't
work, so it was an exact copy of the original, with my PGP signature.
whoops. :-)