Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 IIS 5.0 Remote buffer overflow vulnerability (Re mote SYSTEM Level Access)

From: "Dehner, Ben" <Btd () VALMONT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:55:18 -0500

I guess I have a philosophical question about the use of a web proxy in this
case.  As the first poster points out, a firewall doesn't protect against
this IIS vulnerability, since everything is using standard HTTP protocol.
However, by adding in a web proxy, you are simply moving your vulnerability
from the web server to the proxy server.  Before a proxy server can apply
any allow/deny rules, it first must also parse the incoming HTTP request,
and is therefore potentially vulnerable to the same type of buffer overflow
as the web server.  If the web proxy server is from same vendor as the web
server, it is not unlikely that it is built on common core code and has the
*same* vulnerability.

Ben Dehner