Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Yes, they have found a serious PGP vulnerability...sort of

From: Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer () RUS UNI-STUTTGART DE>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:24:51 +0100

Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz> writes:

Yes...for DSA keys, the modification of unencrypted public parameters is
sufficient to carry out the attack (and this means the simple defence I
proposed would not work). For RSA keys, esp. for version 4 of the format,
they have to modify the encrypted information as well, exploiting
weaknesses in the encryption to localize the effect of their changes.
It is not as trivial as the DSA case but some implementations of RSA
signatures (those not checking the keys thoroughly enough) may be
vulnerable as well.

Yes, that's right.  Unfortunatly I missed these attacks, and an
unpatched GnuPG is vulnerable to them.  Sorry about the confusion.

I've written a patch which addresses the problem:

        http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/files/fw/gnupg-klima-rosa.diff
        http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/files/fw/gnupg-klima-rosa.diff.asc

It introduces additional consistency checks, as suggested by the
authors of the paper.  The checks are slightly different, but they
make the two additional attacks infeasible, I think.  In the future,
it might be a good idea to add a check the generated signature for
validity, this will detect bugs in the MPI implementation which could
result in a revealed secret key, too.

(BTW: Werner Koch, the GnuPG maintainer, is currently not very
well-connected to the Net, so please do not bombard him with e-mail.)

--
Florian Weimer                    Florian.Weimer () RUS Uni-Stuttgart DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/