Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft - Personal Web Server Extended UNICODE Directory Tr aversal Vulnerability

From: Shane Youhouse <Shane.Youhouse () GOODMANMFG COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:15:13 -0600

I find this methodology from Microsoft to be pretty brazen.

Especially when one of the "features" of the new operating systems
incorporating
the personal web server was just that...  You could host a website for you
and your
friends on your high speed home network connection, without having to
upgrade
to the more expensive NT / Win2K package.

Seems to me this is a simple way for Microsoft to cop out on a security
issue.  Or, in
other words, an out and out pass the buck.

If it was TRULY not intended for use on the internet, why would MS enable it
on all
IP addresses?

Either fix the problem, or at least own up to it Microsoft.  You provided a
"feature"
in a "paid for" package that has a security flaw.  Taking the stance of
"Well, we gave
it to you, but it isn't meant to be used" is just plain bovine fecal matter.

Toll_Free