Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

From: Tom Laermans <tom.laermans () powersource cx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:20:53 +0200

Hi,

At 12:42 28/07/2001, you wrote:
It is my belief that microsoft is aware of this. After all, they know they
have html parsers on their programs, because thats one of the functions of
those (go imagine IE not parsing html targets on files it reads stand-alone.
it wouldn't be a browser at all). Thus, this is no bug at all. Probably the
code parsing shouldn't be done in files other than .html, .htm, but if it is
not to be considered as a bug.

Actually, it is a very large bug. Windows uses some sort of content-type in it's registry for all file extensions (check it out) ... Damn there are no content-type thingies in 2K .. there WERE in 98 .. I'm sure of it. It should only interpret for the HTML content type (text/html iirc) ... NOT for any other. So don't filter on .html, .htm, but only on the content type. (why else is the Content-Type: header present??)

I consider these not sollutions to what you point out as a problem, but

They are...

general tips to avoid security problems. Antiviral software wont prevent
html parsers from doing their job. Also, changing name of system utilities
wont do anything at all. About your 4th solution. I don't believe antiviral
software detects any kind of html or activex as being potentially harmful.

Actually it does. If I surf to a site, defaced with the IIS/sadmind worm, like www.nntp.be (their webmaster was mailed long time ago that their site was defaced, but... *sigh* ohwell now I can use this as an example), McAfee VShield pops up saying "Infected filename: <blablabla\temporary internet files\blablabla> infected with SunOS/BoxPoison.worm ....... So I does warn... twice, even.

And finally, i don't believe any patch will come out to prevent html
parsing.

Ofcourse not. Then there would be no browsers anymore. But there HAS to come a patch to prevent html parsing on non-html files.

Tom

Web: http://www.powersource.cx --- ICQ#: 12120754
Also check this out:  http://kickme.to/sidewinder
Need some cheats?? http://www.chaos-cheatbase.com