Bugtraq mailing list archives

Windows ME file restoration

From: "Spirit Of 1" <spiritof1 () home com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:15:50 -0700

An advisory for all windows ME users:

Windows ME restores critical system files from backups when they are renamed
or deleted.  This includes system utilities in the command folder, and some
DLLs.  If your machine is compromised, and you attempt to clean yourself of
impurities by cleaning up system files, windows ME may even restore infected
copies of your system.  I just got windows ME and was completely taken aback
by this lack of caring from microsoft.  I don't even know if there is a fix
for this.  If you know how to disable this recovery method that seems
hard-coded into windows ME, I'd appreciate a reply.  Thanks.

-spirit of one.