Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UDP packet handling weird behaviour of various operating systems

From: Jarno Huuskonen <Jarno.Huuskonen () uku fi>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:36:36 +0300

On Thu, Jul 26, Stefan Laudat wrote:
Identical network cards for Win2k, Linux SMP and OpemBSD processor (Intel
Pro 100). Linux was run on dual p3/1Ghz(SMP), Pentium2/400Mhz and P3/800Mhz
(UP). Windows 2000 was run on p3/1Ghz UP. I've made tests with same results
against Linux UP boxes running on Celeron/600 with 3com Vortex and realtek
8139 NICs. I've outlined that the result is the same no matter if you hit
via 1Gbit or 100Mbit.

Could you test the pro100 adapter with the intel e100 driver with
cpu-saver enabled (insmod e100.o ucode=1) ? (Also playing around with
other parameters like IntDelay, BundleMax and Tx/RxDescriptors might
make a difference). The 'cpu-saver' option should limit the number of
interrupts the nic generates (this might help if the interrupts bring
the machine to halt) (read the e100 driver manual for more information).

-Jarno

--
Jarno Huuskonen <Jarno.Huuskonen () uku fi>