Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Full analysis of the .ida "Code Red" worm.

From: "Marc Maiffret" <marc () eeye com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:55:13 -0700

You basically just summed up what I was writing in an eMail... As far as
things look right now... whitehouse.gov will remain standing upright because
they blackholed the IP address that use to map to it which was the right
thing to do and kept this from turning into a much bigger problem then it
already is.

This of course does not by any means the worm is done. Hopefully enough
people are talking and administrators are listening and installing patches
right away.

---
as a side note... some people asked about why the worm has "slowed down" on
infecting and thats because the worm was designed to do that... to stop
infecting and start attacking an IP address that use to point to
whitehouse.gov.

This whole worm process that we have been going through will basically start
from scratch and run its course again when the 1st of next month comes
around.

Signed,
Marc Maiffret
Chief Hacking Officer