Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Win2K/NTFS messes file creation time/date

From: Gerald Carter <gcarter () valinux com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:12:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Acryl wrote:

I accidently stumbled accross this error when I made a program of mine
create 3 text files containing different debug output. My explorer is
set to detailed view showing: Creation time/date, Last modification
time/date and last access time/date. This way the bug I'll describe is
easy to recognize so I'd recommend setting it to the same properties
when trying to reproduce this.

When I ran my program the very first time it created the 3 text files
and set all of the 3 values properly as the should. After viewing the
files I deleted them (Shift + Del) by hand and reran the program.
Again the 3 files were created, but the Creation time/date was set
wrong, namely it was set to the very first creation time ( before I
deleted them by hand ). Any following runs of the program produced the
same results.

This is known behavior.  There is a window during which the "sticky"
behavior will occur. In fact, certain MS apps (e.g. Word) rely upon this
behavior.

cheers, jerry
 http://www.valinux.com/     VA Linux Systems      gcarter () valinux com
 http://www.samba.org/          SAMBA Team             jerry () samba org