Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: win32/memory locking

From: Werner Koch <wk () GNUPG ORG>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:07:44 +0100

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, John Wiltshire wrote:

Note that the PGP implementation uses a device driver (PGPmemlock.sys)
to lock pages into memory and prevent them from being swapped out.  I am
unsure as to the motives of the GPG team if they have not implemented a
similar feature, but smells like FUD to me.

Mainly a lack of time hinders the implementation of such a driver.

And frankly, I don't think it does make much sense to do so because
you can attack 99.9% of all Windows boxes by other and simpler means.
If a customer of mine would demand such a thing, I am going to write
it of course.

  Werner

--
Werner Koch                                              <wk () gnupg org>
GNU Privacy Guard                                (http://www.gnupg.org)