Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: major security bug in reiserfs (may affect SuSE Linux)

From: Christian Zuckschwerdt <Christian.Zuckschwerdt () TRIQ NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:19:02 +0100

Some more playing around showed that the 'hidding' depends on the actual
filename. Lots of x in my 1st example did the magic other chars won't.
I'd guess its depended on the sequence in the dir(-listing). Similar to
the observations of Andreas Ferber.

People with insight on the actual btree should have some clues.

The scary thing is that people can screw up systems just by
writing to {/var,}/tmp/<log random name>
One won't recover that diskspace.