Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Glibc Local Root Exploit

From: Pedro Margate <pedro () ECLIPSE NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:40:39 -0500

Greetings,

The implementations of ssh that I'm familiar with (ssh and OpenSSH)
install the ssh binary as suid root by default.  This can be disabled
during configuration or after the fact with chmod.  I believe that would
prevent this exploit from operating.  I've turned off the suid bit on
every ssh installation I've performed and it seems to work the same.  I'm
not sure what reason ssh has to be suid root, nobody I've asked has any
idea.

Regards,
Pedro