Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Nortel CES (3DES version) offers false sense of securitywhen usi ng IPSEC

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:32:57 -0500

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:36:27 EST, Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>  said:

I seem to remember Schneier's "Applied Cryptography" discussing this.  In any
case, the reason that triple-DES is limited to an *effective* 112 bits
of key is that DES is a "group".  To sum up multiple pages of math, this

Moral. Always proofread it *again*.  The math follows from the fact
that DES is *NOT* a group.  I've already had 2 people notice I missed
the '*NOT*'. ;(

/Valdis (who needs to double-check his caffeine content before hitting send)