Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IE https certificate attack

From: "Dimitris Giannitsaros" <daremon () ath forthnet gr>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 22:20:12 +0200

I use IE 5.00.3315.1000 / Win2k Pro SP2 and no other patches. I am not
vulnerable: IE correctly displays the warning ("Security Alert") saying that
"The name on the security certificate does not match the name of the site"
and asking whether i want to continue. From this message i can also choose
"View Certificate" where i see that it is published for ssl-ematters.de and
not suspekt.org...

Dimitris

Proof of Concept:

   A proof of concept webpage was put up at http://suspekt.org. Clicking
   onto the "To the secure page..." link will send your browser to
   https://suspekt.org without IE warning you that the certificate was not
   issued onto that server.

   This is not a MIM but it has the same effect: IE will tell you a page
is
   secure although the certificate is illegal and its possible for a third
   party (anyone who owns the given certificate) to decrypt your traffic
in
   realtime.