Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ProFTPD - Problems in file globbing, gives segmentation fault.

From: Moritz Grimm <gtgbr () gmx net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:36:35 +0100

Mattias _ wrote:
AFFECTED VERSIONS
=================
ProFTPD 1.2.4
ProFTPD 1.2.2rc3
(Others may be affected as well.)

SYSTEMS
=======
This is tested on Slackware 8.

IMPACT
======
The ftpd-child dies with signal 11 (SEGV), but the server stays up.
The question is if itÂ’s possible to do something nasty with this!?

I'm running ProFTPD 1.2.2 under OpenBSD 2.8.

The following happened when I tried it locally:

<snip>
Connected to localhost.
220 FTP Server ready.
Name (localhost:maxx):
331 Password required for maxx.
Password:
230 User maxx logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls ////////////////////////////
500 EPSV not understood.
227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,134,172).
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

^C
receive aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
</snip>

The logs show the following many times:

Dec 20 01:27:13 phoenix proftpd in free(): warning: modified (chunk-)
pointer.
Dec 20 01:27:13 phoenix proftpd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too
high to make sense.
Dec 20 01:27:13 phoenix proftpd in free(): warning: junk pointer, too
low to make sense.

Both server and child didn't die. After getting disconnected, the child
process was still there and I had to kill -9 it. While it was running,
the computer showed symptoms of 100% CPU usage. Everything became pretty
slow, but not unusable (no real DoS). After killing the child,
everything went back to normal.

I wasn't able to remotely reproduce this behavior. Here's what happened
when using the Win2000 command line ftp from another box:

<snip>
230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
ftp> ls ////////////////////////////
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file list.
/////////////////////////////uploads
/////////////////////////////welcome.msg
/////////////////////////////pub
226 Transfer complete.
FTP: 148 Bytes empfangen in 0,07Sekunden 2,11KB/s
</snip>

This time, nothing weird happened.

I hope this is of any use for you.

Moritz

--
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve   neither   liberty   or   security"  -  Benjamin   Franklin